Monday, July 28, 2008

pear, almond and vanilla 'galette'

This weeks TWD recipe for a summer fruit galette was chosen by Michelle at Michelle in Colorado Springs.

I approached the recipe in somewhat topsy turvy manner... not being summer here in NZ we had 2 ripe pears in the fruit bowl this week, and pears and custard are so good together. Pears, custard and almonds are also good together, so I added a bit of a frangipane theme to things. To stretch my two pears a little further instead of making a galette I made a small tart shell which I blind baked.

Going the tart route I switched the cracker crumbs for (quite a few) toasted ground almonds and my custard became almost like a frangipane mixture. The pear and vanilla jam went on the top instead to glaze the sliced almonds.

I had been looking forward to trying Dorie's recipe for good for everything pie dough, so was annoyed at myself for undercooking the base of this - the sides however lived up to expectation and were lovely and crisp. This was delicious. Next time I will try making it as a galette pairing the custard with its other good friend - rhubarb.

14 comments:

Sihan said...

nice swop to a frangipane mixture. Bet it was all tidier and still as delicious! glad u enjoyed it!

Jules Someone said...

The fruit/almond combo sounds yummy. Try the galette next time. It's very forgiving.

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Ooh! I love the flavors!

Hannah

Tara said...

Looks great! I don't have graham crackers, so I might try the ground almonds!

PheMom said...

This sounds like a fabulous variation! Really beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Wow -- that looks delicious. I'll have to try that this fall, when we get good pears again.

Susie Homemaker said...

I am SO trying pears when they are in season here. Serously great idea.

Engineer Baker said...

I looked at your pictures and went - wait, that's not a galette! But it looks darned tasty, so I'm not going to complain :)

Christine said...

I love the flavors!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I wanted to write to you, but couldn't find your email, so thought I'd leave a comment instead. We at Wowzio have build some beautiful and engaging widgets for your blog.
These pull up content, images & user-activity from your blog automatically, auto update, and are free of charge. Please take a look at the "Panoramic Slideshow", "Live Activity" and "Feed Content" widget for your blog at
See Wowzio Widgets for Your Blog

I apologize for having to leave a comment, please note it is not my intent to spam you.

Thx-Alisha
alisha.wright1@gmail.com

CB said...

ooohhh pear and almond. That sounds yum! Great job!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Nickki said...

That looks delicious. I make an apple/almond galette which is really good too.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, this version sounds great. The custard with almonds was good, I tried a little of that too. Pears sound grand.

Bungalow Barbara said...

Wow, great winter version of this dessert! I'll have to try it when it's winter here.