Tuesday, July 1, 2008

cheese, apple, quince

I love trying out new scone recipes, so this weeks TWD recipe for Cheddar and Apple scones, chosen by Karina from The Floured Apron by was right up my alley.

These are very, very good! Admittedly I struggled to taste the (chopped, dried) apple in them, and using vintage cheddar probably helped elevate these scones to further greatness. Texture wise these scones are extremely light and flaky with quite a 'short' crumb. The small amount of polenta in the dough added a subtle but distictive crispness to the crust.

Next time I would perhaps try this recipe without the apple to see if it does in fact add a subtle something to the flavour. I think it was worth using a strong cheddar, it meant the scones had a good strong cheese flavour but without that slightly greasy texture that a larger quantity of cheese can contribute.

They are definitely best devoured minutes after coming out of the oven, the leftover scone I reheated in the sandwich press the next day came nowhere near the freshly baked experience. I made a full batch and froze half, so will try baking from frozen next time I feel a cheese scone craving comes on...


A spoonful of Moutere Gold Quince Jelly took these to scone perfection.




15 comments:

ostwestwind said...

I think quince is a good choice, the other flavours are cheddar or apple, which go well with these scones in my opinion.

Yours look very appetizing

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Jules Someone said...

Mmmmm. That looks delicious!

April said...

The texture of your scones looks wonderful!

Prudy said...

Those look fabulous with the jelly on top. Perfectly executed!

Anonymous said...

That's a good point about the cheese, using it in small quantities. That jelly looks ethereal.

Susie Homemaker said...

quince jelly? wow...great thought!

Engineer Baker said...

Quince jelly sounds fantastic with these. I agree though - you probably can't up the cheese too much more without them getting to be overly greasy.

Tammy said...

your scones look great and I love quince jelly - i will have to try that next time

Pamela said...

Beautiful pictures. I've never tried quince jelly and it sounds like I might be missing out.

Meandering Eats said...

Gorgeous pictures! I love quince and polenta is definitely a great addition to the scone. TWD looks like a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

I went mild with the cheddar, and I'm kicking myself. Next time, big flava. Next time.

Shari said...

Yum...old cheddar. Next time I'll have to try that.
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Kana said...

I like the floral undertones of quince jam.

Bungalow Barbara said...

Mmm, quince jelly, not sure if I can find that around here unless I go to a gourmet store. I'll have to look, sounds delicious!

Mari said...

I froze half of my batch and after seeing yours, I'm ready to bake them off tonite after work!