Tuesday, July 22, 2008

pear, date and ginger cobbler


TWD this week = Cherry and rhubarb cobbler, chosen by Amanda from Like sprinkles on a cupcake. Owning neither cherries nor rhubarb at this point in time I substituted pears with a handful of dates for good measure, seeing as they go so perfectly with ginger. Not being a cobbler lover I was surprised to quite enjoy this.

After the last cobbler attempt was so bland I decided to add a topping of brown sugar, cinnamon and ginger to the top of the cobbler so it had a nice crunchy sugary crust, and upped the ginger in the dough. This called for a generous pour of yoghurt, hence the pool of it in the pic below...

10 comments:

NKP said...

Your cobbler looks great. It was a good idea to liberally season the crust.

Steph said...

I like your combination of fruits. What a great idea to use yogurt instead of icecream!

kimberly salem said...

your fruit choice sounds great... and the topping looks just yummm :)

Shandy said...

What a great flavor combination. The picture looks yummy and the idea of yogurt is a great one! =D

Engineer Baker said...

Pear, date, and ginger? Unless you ship, I must make this. Now.

Pamela said...

Yum! Sounds delicious.

Tammy said...

I enjoyed this cobbler a lot more than the last one as well

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Great combinations~sounds good!

Hannah

Aaliyah said...

Yoghurt sounds like a good addition to the cobbler. Over here we have plain yoghurt so I don't think that would have matched so well :), rarely do I see the flavored ones and if I do spy one at the store, fourteen dollars is a bit much for flavored yoghurt lol.

I like that you added dates, I never cared for dates much until I came to live in Lebanon and then it was like, WOW...now I know why so many people like them. I get a wide variety of them here so I will try this out again and make it just like you did...minus the bank breaking flavored yoghurt lol.

See you next week!

Bungalow Barbara said...

Love your cobbler! What a great combination of fruits! I'll have to try that in the fall when pears come into season. Love the idea of a flavored sugary topping too!