Tuesday, June 3, 2008

de/reconstructed brownie


Well as you can see things did not go to plan with TWD this week, and I ended up with a bit of a brownie disaster on my hands. I had a catering event on in the weekend and decided to make this weeks TWD pick of French Brownie for this - and took the liberty of making a double batch - having such faith in Dorie by this stage I thought I would be brave...

When making the mixture I was surprised at how pale it looked. I added a bit more chocolate than specified as I don't like the look (or taste) of pale brownies or chocolate cakes, they just seem a little sad and half hearted if you know what I mean.
Oh, and I left out the raisins. I like raisins and they have their place but raisins in brownie is just plain wrong!

I baked it for around the specified time but ended up with a brownie in two entirely separate pieces - the top crust which lifted off in one piece, and the dense, solid bottom bit. This was really strange, I know brownie should have a crust but this is usually papery rather than dry and thick and crunchy...and it tasted dry and thick and crunchy too.

There was nothing for it but to build it into something that looked a bit more presentable (read saleable) so the whole mixture - crumbly top, dense bottom and all went into the food processor. I added some crushed toasted almonds to bind the mix, as it was very moist. Then topped with some dark chocolate ganache, a handful of chopped dark chocolate, some toasted flaked almonds and a drizzle of more dark chocolate to finish!!!

And thus 'Chocolate and Almond Truffle Slice found itself on the menu instead. This was actually really delicious. It was a very good seller too, faring well against the competition (see below). I think the texture of this recipe lends itself more to a fudgy style slice rather than a brownie, as it was very dense. I am sorry to say this recipe will not be entering the brownie hall of fame, I look forward to trying some of the other brownie recipes though!

23 comments:

noskos said...

Great that you were able to salvage the brownies and turn them into something nice!

April said...

OH my!! I will take 2 please!! They look delicious!

Engineer Baker said...

Deconstructed brownies indeed - yum!

Bumblebutton said...

Now I think THAT might have been the way to go from the very start! Nice and yummy looking!

April said...

Great idea! Looks delicious!

Linda said...

I admire how you were able to recover from the unexpected baking results. The improvised dessert looks fantastic!

The Kitchen Vixen said...

Wasnt that top layer weird? At least you made them into something delicious. That topping looks great!

ostwestwind said...

I agree about the recipe, although your rescue operation was a great success.

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Melissa said...

The crust totally ruined these for me. But great idea!!!

Jules Someone said...

What creativity! I'm glad it worked out.

Amy said...

What a nice save. They look yummy!

Tammy said...

I am so with you on leaving out the raisins, but I love the way you rescued the brownie!

Christine said...

Great idea looks delish!

Anonymous said...

I envy people like you. If that had happened to me, I would've thrown the whole thing in the garbage and cried for hours. You turned it into something beautiful and I bet it was every bit as delicious as it looks.

PheMom said...

Nice going! These look neat!

Anonymous said...

Oh, nice save! The truffle slice looks amazing.

Di said...

I'm sorry that the brownies didn't work out the way they were supposed to, but nice improvisation!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the creative idea of reconstructing your brownies! Very innovative! And they look DELICIOUS!

Jayne said...

Wow! The Chocolate and Almond Truffle Slice looks great! Very resourceful of you!

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

Very creative to salvage your brownies. I bet they tasted delicious!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Cecilia said...

Goodness, you certainly know how to salvage your baked goods. I would have never thought to do the same. Wonderful thinking! The end product looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

What creative enginuity. Great job!

Jaime said...

wow, love what you did w/the recipe! i, too, had a super thick crust - after seeing all the other TWD brownies, i see that not everyone had the same result as we did. i now think it was from over beating the eggs/sugar. i'd love to make the recipe again, trying to barely whip the eggs next time so i can get the nice thin crust on top!