Tuesday, June 24, 2008

cobbler vs crumble


TWD for this week was nice and easy (as much as I love the excuse to try the more elaborate recipes...quick and healthy-ish is good too!) as Beth of Our sweet life chose Mixed Berry Cobbler.

I have yet to fall in love with the cobbler. I love the idea of them - scones, jam and cream work so well and a cobbler is a bit like a pudding version of this. I guess I would just rather have my fruit topped with a crunchy crumble of oats and nuts, and cobblers can be a wee bit much on the doughy side for my liking.
I have never made a cobbler by rolling out the dough the way Dorie suggests, this makes a nice finish a little more like a pie crust, which was interesting to try for a change. The 'cobbled' rustic look is probably more up my alley though. Mine didn't rise particularly well, I did chill the cobbler dough while I made dinner so it went into the oven cold, which Dorie says is okay but I think must inhibit a bit of rising action?!
I added a teaspoon of cinnamon to Dorie's recipe and used granny smith apples and frozen boysenberries. It was a little tart, as the dough wasn't too sweet either. I probably should have added a little more sugar to my fruit, and cream or ice cream would have been a better friend to it than natural yoghurt which was what we had in the fridge last night.
However for all my complaints the leftover cobbler after being warmed ever so slightly and tossed about with a slosh of yoghurt and a squirt of apple syrup proved to be an serviceable after work pre gym pep up!
Postscript- I just read everyone elses pre-posting comments here and am glad I don't seem to be the only one disappointed with the results here - maybe I do like cobbler but just haven't found the perfect recipe yet!!

14 comments:

allison said...

Your cobbler looks great even if it wasn't the best recipe we've all tried. Great idea to have it as a pre-gym pep up. Unfortunately mine didn't even make it over night so I could have it as a snack.

NKP said...

I love the idea of using granny smith apples. I did find that the cobbler went very nicely with sweet frozen yogurt. Maybe it needs the sweet to temper the tart.

ostwestwind said...

After reading all these entries it must be the fruit to like or dislike the recipe. And I think ice cream is a must ;-)

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Engineer Baker said...

This cobbler just sounds good all the time - breakfast, dessert, and now pre-gym. What a wonderful idea!

Amy said...

Your cobbler looks wonderful. Sorry your topping didn't rise.

Jules Someone said...

I think the cobbler looks yummy!

Tammy said...

I agree - crumble is more my thing too!

melly~ said...

i wanted ice cream with mine but forgot that item at the grocery. thanks for making me think about adding cream on top. i have just the right amount left!
hope you enjoyed yours.
melly~

Susie Homemaker said...

mine didn't rise a lot, just some...and it definitely calls for ice cream! (what doesn't, really??)

Jaime said...

it looks delicious - try the my favorite cobbler recipe (linked in my post)

Anonymous said...

Chilling definitely inhibited your rising mojo, but the cobbler still looks delicious. That pinkish red is so nice.

Bungalow Barbara said...

So sorry you thought it was just so-so. It's interesting, I never realized people had so many different tastes and opinions on cobblers and crumbles! Good for you for giving it a try!

noskos said...

Looks great!!

Anonymous said...

Your blog features a delicious array of recipes; the way you've chosen to present your recipe collection is admirable. We'd like to pass along a gift to you; it's an acclaimed service that any cook with a recipe collection would feel honored to use. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested.