Tuesday, June 17, 2008

eclairs for afternon tea

The naked eclairs fresh from the oven....



...and all dressed up ready for afternoon tea.



The TWD recipe this week - Peppermint cream puff ring - was selected by Caroline of A Consuming Passion. I love choux pastry in absolutely any form, sweet or savoury, and profiteroles with ice cream, chocolate sauce and toasted almonds are one of my favourite desserts - the perfect blend of crisp, soft, hot and cold - love it. I halved the recipe and made eclairs for ease of serving...although I have to say the ring is far more grand looking. We took them over to some friends for afternoon tea - the ulterior motive of which was to have a play on their Rocket espresso machine, in the hope that we will one day (soon?!) own one ourselves.

I found the pastry part of this one was straight forward. Normally I don't add sugar or milk to my choux, so I was interested in how fast these would brown up - they cooked beautifully.I instead had a bit of an issue with the peppermint part of this recipe...I infused the cream as Dorie says but our mint is not the healthiest looking plant at the moment, so the leaves were less than lush. In the end the cream didn't taste particularly minty, and in a moment of haste (we were due out the door as I was titivating the eclairs...) I added a splash of the Mrs Thomas's mint syrup I had in the fridge to intensify the 'mintiness'. Bad idea. This has a white vinegar base and while it is sweet and is fantastic over fruit and other desserts it did not work well with the cream. At all.

Luckily there was just enough cream was left in the bottom of the bottle that could be swiftly whipped and flung ino the elairs. Thus traditional chocolate elairs it was - simple but so good. I love the idea of the minted cream - and will try it again once that mint supply is back up and running...

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny how few of us actually did the ring? We had way too much fun this week.

You pictures look great! I want to go whip up some more cream puffs now.

Prudy said...

I did eclairs, too. They look marvelous. I had homemade mint syrup and thought about using it in the cream-so glad I didn't now.

ostwestwind said...

Next time I do eclairs. They are not very common in Northern Germany, we only do puffs, called "wind bags". I used my mint from the garden, that worked well. Great and delicious looking result

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Engineer Baker said...

Eclairs, all dressed up for afternoon tea indeed. Do you think they could be dressed up for breakfast? Because I think I want one...

NKP said...

Great looking little eclairs, just perfect with an espresso. Hey, maybe next time we can do a coffee flavoured cream inside....

Jules Someone said...

Mmmmmm. Those puffs look yummy!

Susie Homemaker said...

oh yum...yours look delish! sorry about the mint fiasco - at least you remedied it in a hurry! Super job!

Anonymous said...

I love your mini éclairs! Gorgeous!

Tammy said...

the minted cream is delicious! Your eclairs looked perfect

Anonymous said...

Your mini naked eclairs look fab!

Annemarie said...

Lovely eclairs!

Liliana said...

Your eclaires came out lovely!

Great job!

Anonymous said...

Ah, I wish I'd piped some eclairs! Next time, next time.

Lisa T. said...

These are so beautiful. They remind me of the eclairs from my favourite Italian bakery. What lovely works of art.

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

Oh I just love those eclairs! Good style to photo them plain and then dressed for tea too.

Heather B said...

Great job! They all look so delicious!

Jaime said...

your eclairs look so perfect! sorry the mint cream didn't work out - i had some troubles w/it too