Saturday, May 31, 2008

cakes and sandwiches

It has been a busy few days, with my last big baking session before I start a new job in the area of nutrition...all things in moderation!

Today there was a fundraising event on at Claremont Estate, a boutique lodge on a farm in Waipara, where I cooked the summer before last. My presence at the event today was in the form of the 'cake and sandwich lady' - a change from my usual market pseudonym of 'pudding girl'.

Here are some of the treats I made. I was a little over enthusiastic with regard to quantities required, however sold most of my wares with the exception of the sticky gingerbread which is on the menu for pudding with friends tomorrow night. It will be joined by some pears poached in mulled wine and a little creme anglaise for good measure.


Louise cake - my pride and joy of the stall today. I have actually never made this before and was a little worried when it came to cutting as the base mixture seemed very dry when raw. But Alison H didn't let me down - this was delicious (and I didn't think I liked Louise cake). The recipe can be found here.


Here, displayed on my new cake stand, an early birthday present (any offers?!) is from top to bottom - chocolate and almond truffle slice (a disaster rehash - more later), Louise cake, date and caramello slice.


I did a rerun of Dorie's sticky buns - this time using local walnuts along with the honey glaze, which worked well with the flavour of the honey. These turned out super sticky and required a strong coffee to wash them down. Now regretting bartering the last few with the coffee cart girls...it shall have to be weet-bix for breakfast instead.
The winner on the day - Oaty Ginger Crunch - the base is a bit like an anzac biscuit, so very good. Not so much crunchy but chewy. For once my icing worked perfectly and didn't crack at all when cutting it!


The club sandwiches mistakenly didn't get a look in while I did the whip around with the camera, the little cakes somehow seemed more appealing...

I really do need to think of a more creative gluten free option - although these little cakes are also enjoyed by wider members of the public. The moussey lemon curd cream and crunchy candied orange zest makes them - lovely with the squidgy cakes and ever so slightly pudding-like.

Banana cakes a la Belinda Jeffrey - the best recipe ever and all made in the food processor. Buy a copy of Mix and Bake today. Featuring banana chips that required numerous shopping expeditions to track down. (Odd but true)


...and now to bed, early rising is on the agenda tomorrow for the Christchurch Marathon - which I shall be attending in purely a spectator/supporter role, marathons of the baking kind being my preference.

2 comments:

Prudy said...

Ooh-your treats were just beautiful! I loved your plates and presentation and the tags. I love to have a food title. I want everything!

Tammy said...

wow, what a feast. It all looks so good!!