Friday, May 16, 2008

the perfect pikelet?



Too late for breakfast but too early for lunch, I felt like something a little bit sweet. I had seen a recipe for pikelets in an Alison Holst book that she claims are 'the best pikelets I have ever tasted'. A pretty big claim but then AH has a similarly big reputation so I thought I would try them out. I usually use a Jo Seagar recipe for pikelets that makes nice thick ones. (Nobody likes a mean skinny pikelet!) Alison's recipe was possibly nicer as the pikelets were still fatly risen but a bit lighter and more tender. Both use cream of tartar which I think must be the secret ingredient. A jar of Moutere Gold citrus and passionfruit curd provided the perfect topping.

Here is the inside of the pikelet, you can see how lovely and light the batter is.
Mrs James' pikelets (c/o Alison Holst)
25g butter
1 tbsp golden syrup
1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
3/4 c milk
1 1/2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
Melt the butter in the bowl you will mix pikelets in. Add the golden syrup and warm again. Add sugar and eggs and whisk well, stir in milk. Sift in dry ingredients and mix only to combine - it is important not to overmix at this stage. Cook spoonfuls in a lightly greased pan and serve with the delicious jam of your choice.

4 comments:

Pukeko Post said...

I tried the recipe but I didn't have cream of tartar so I used self raising flour - nevertheless the pikelets were divine :D thanks

Anonymous said...

I tried your "perfect pikelet" recipe today and both my husband and I agreed it is a very nice version and makes lovely thick 'n light pikelets. Rather high praise from a couple nearer 80 than 70!!

Unknown said...

My children ask for these every Sunday! Pretty perfect I would say ... Thank you! x

Anonymous said...

Best ever pikelet recipe