Sunday, May 18, 2008

not so naughty brownie

Flicking through the Healthy Food Guide website I came across this recipe for a fat free brownie - the recipe is here. The picture in the magazine looked pretty good, and despite being skeptical of a brownie recipe containing no butter or eggs I decided to give it a chance. (With the outrageous price of butter a brownie recipe that is 'healthyish' and cheap would be a bonus...) The recipe uses apple puree as a fat substitute, which I like the idea of. However with this being the only wet ingredient the mixture was way too dry so I succumbed to the temptation to add an egg. Instead of the specified walnuts and dark chocolate I added raspberries and white chocolate.

It is important to note that this is most definitely not a brownie. It was quite spongy and the top felt a bit rubbery, it didn't get that fudgy crumb and papery crust that the genuine article has. It tasted ok in a run of the mill chocolate cake kind of way, but I am definitely of the school of thought where you indulge less often but do it properly...

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Hey Rachel,

How was the Judith Cullen class? Also, I am going to be in Chch this weekend (23 May) are you going to be selling your wares at any of the markets this weekend?

Tammy

becs said...

Hi Tammy,

Judith Cullen was great - very good value for money, love her food. I will post some recipes from the class on my blog sometime. No I won't be at the market this weekend, am about to start a new job and have put the market on hold for a while!

Becs

marae said...

i agree actually...i love lower fat and calorie cooking when you don't sacrifice flavor or texture but many times with baking you can't have both. BOO hoo!