Tuesday, May 13, 2008

a flurry of figs

In the weekend I was the lucky recipient of a bowl of figs, thanks to a friend of Mum's that has a tree and doesn't care for them. (There were many more - this is the remainder that was turned into jam). The bowl is my newest addition to my Tony Sly collection of beautiful things to put food in and on.

Roasted figs with fig leaf syrup. We ate these with gingerbread waffles and poached pears for breakfast (more about that later). The fig leaf syrup comes from the Dunsandel Store. It has a flavour that is hard to describe. It is lovely, not too sweet and less cloying than maple syrup or honey.


Fig and lemon jam - inspired by the new book Pick, Preserve, Serve by Chris Fortune. A good little book with nice ideas for contemporary preserves...the lemon in this is delicious, it really lifts the flavour. I cut the figs into wedges so they stayed nice and chunky. I think it will be perfect in a crostata with some sliced apples.

Pizza with caramelised red onion, blue cheese, fig and walnut. Self explanatory.

2 comments:

The Food Librarian said...

Those figs look so lovely. I'm jealous!

Tammy said...

I am jealous too - those figs look divine. I also love Tony Sly pottery