Monday, April 14, 2008

new additions to the garden...

I have succumbed to the desire to own my own feijoa tree! This one I planted in a huge pot so it is 100% relocatable...otherwise suspect we would not reap much fruit from it. It has four baby feijoas on it so that is something to look forward to (and savour). They are very tiny and very cute. In a few years when my feijoa tree is all grown up it will have the potential to make some people very jealous...



Also decided we needed a kaffir lime tree. This one is beautiful with so many leaves and even has few little limes growing already. I used some leaves last night in a panang curry but sadly was a little heavy handed with the curry paste so it was a bit disappointing.


Here is my garden at week four, I am amazed by how fast it is growing, the silverbeet is ready for picking already. Have made a few trips down to the river for stones to cover the weeds that are growing around the edges, but it is slow going loading and unloading into the car, will keep working at it...

Pictured below is the newest 'architectural' feature of the garden...I paid a visit to the local Mitre 10 last week to purchase some timber to build a new garden bed. I had crammed far too many seedlings into the garden at the beginning, and they were starting to fight for space. So I transplanted a few into the new bed, hoping they survive the journey into their new low density home without too much wear and tear. The brussel sprouts are looking a bit droopy at the moment... but in the meantime you can admire the craftsmanship shown in the carpentry.


1 comment:

Apple said...

Derek would be proud!

Hope the feijoa tree is as productive as the Royal Oak one! No more pick up and run :)