Tuesday, April 15, 2008

marshmallow mousse


Marshmallow was the recipe chosen this week for Tuesdays with Dorie. The idea of plain marshmallow didn't really appeal, so I decided to combine it with a base and make marshmallow shortcake.
I don't have a candy thermometer so guessed the timing of cooking the sugar syrup. I also estimated the amount of gelatin required, and also the volume of egg whites (I had some frozen I wanted to use up, and figured 4 smallish egg whites may equal the 3 large ones specified in the recipe). All this estimation no doubt contributed to marshmallow that was less than 'marshmallowy'. Rather than a firm, smooth texture my marshmallow was very light and fluffy and more like a mousse. Suspect there was too much egg white in there for the gelatine to set. I added half a cup of raspberry puree to the mixture, so that may have contributed too...
It set ok, and was firm enough to cut, but collapsed a little on standing and the marshmallow seeped into the shortcake layer a bit too. It didn't taste terrible, just not how it was supposed to!

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marshmallow shortcake! What a cool idea. Maybe I can use it as a layer in something ...

amanda. said...

Mmm! Looks good to me!

Tammy said...

Looks good. I had the opposite problem with mine! too much gelatine and set too much!

Peabody said...

What fun. I love the pink with the coconut...very cute.

Mary Ann said...

Those look so good- Great idea.

Mary said...

I was totally wondering about making a crust for these!! they look great. yum!

LyB said...

I love the idea of making a crust and layering the marshmallows on top, so creative! Looks delicious!

Marie Rayner said...

Ohh wow, that looks deliciously moreish!!! I made peanut butter cookie s'mores with mine but I like your idea even better!

CRS said...

I love the changes you made! It looks really tasty; I'm sorry it wasn't as awesome as it looks!

Amy said...

What a great idea. My daughter just loved licking the whisk and the bowl before it set up. She would probably love the mousse!

Nikki57 said...

ohh marshmallow shortcake... great idea!

April said...

Your presentation looks good!

Anonymous said...

Good idea! Sorry it didn't turn out quite as you expected. It looks fabulous though! :)

Bumblebutton said...

You were very creative. I can just taste these with strawberries on top!

CB said...

I did the strawberry puree and it never really set for me either. I think I probably put too much puree? C'est la vie. Your pinky coconut is still a beautiful picture.
Clara @ I♥food4thought

Anonymous said...

Shortcake for me next time! That was a great idea!

Annemarie said...

Great idea, and looks so good!

becs said...

I know CB i think I put in too much puree also, couldn't resist...thanks for all the nice comments!

Natalie said...

Mmmm... that looks beautiful and tasty!

Mari said...

Looks great to me!

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

Great idea to make a shortcake! Looks delicious.

PheMom said...

So pretty!